I started making this delicious vegan chocolate cake years ago when I was advised by my daughter’s doctor to change my diet to vegan. (I was breastfeeding and she was having some health issues so we tried eliminating food to see if that would help) One of the days I really wanted some chocolate cake and found this recipe and completely fell in love with it.
This vegan cake is so moist you would never think it had no eggs or butter if you didn’t make it yourself. Even my son, who was 3 at the time and the pickiest eater you have ever seen, devoured it and asked for more! This cake is still a staple in my kitchen and every time I make it, it disappears fast!
You can change the recipe up and add chocolate chips to the batter or put frosting on the cake. For my family I serve the cake dusted with icing sugar, with some strawberries on the side.
All the dry ingredients in the bowl.
Dry ingredients mixed.
Dry and Liquid ingredients mixed together.
To see if the cake is cooked insert a toothpick into the center of the cake, if it comes out clean it's done.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients: Cocoa powder, sugar, salt, flour and baking soda
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry: Vanilla extract, water, vinegar and vegetable oil. Mix until smooth
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool and serve.